Tuesday, April 14, 2015

EXPLORING MY PRESENT STATE OF ADULTHOOD

Explore your present state of adulthood

1.What gives you strength as an adult to cope with the pressures of adult living?
My family;my husband,our 4 boys and even Sophie,our Siberian Husky who is always available for kisses and hugs when things in life become difficult in life.
2.What do you like most about who you are now?
I am Independent but loving.I am emotional yet strong.I am kind and generous yet not over the top,at least not always. I give and care and am loyal.However I keep growing and learning and do not give up esily.I have strong valuses and integrity and know when to say I am sorry and know when to pursue justice for something.I love to teach.However that being said, I am most of all proud about  my work/ research/art ;it is important and drives me with passion, when I read the stories about people's lives stolen from them and I create my art in a response for all to view,well that is my what do they say"aha moment".
3.What do you like least about adulthood?I am a horrible disciplinary person both in my personal life and with my students, albeit I am getting better about holding those responsible for their actions both in my home and in my classroom.
4.As an adult educator/artist what advice would you give to your younger self?Embrace the acceptance into New York University's graduate degree program in Art Education and complete that MA Degree and then go on for the PHD.Do not be afraid of that silly roommate in NYC and of the city.You are just as smart and capable as everyone else.Don't be so afraid of everything and everyone!Trust yourself!
5.How do you feel about your students/peers and what gives you hope about passing on knowledge?I adore my students,well not all of them...lol...but most....It is so very exciting when they grow and learn and try new things and create such exciting art projects and lesson plans.My peers,not so  much.Passing on knowledge to me is easy..I love to learn and that is contagious.
6.What makes you feel like your efforts are futile?When my students do not read the announcements or emails and ask me stupid questions...lol..When some students argue with me over assignments.When students do a poor job on an assignment and what really upsets me is when they seem not to care.
7.Explore your daily routines.I wake early and hug my husband tightly each morning and kiss my Sophie dog and think of my 4 boys all over the words from Russia to Texas; all in graduate school..that is a "wow" way to wake each morning.Then I am on the computer..checking my courses,my FB,etcetc..Then I walk to the yard and smell the flowers and take in the green grass and lo at the sky.Then I walk past all three of my studio spaces and stare and think and sometimes make a mark and other times get too lost and involved and become full of paint..that is not good..because now my youngest son is waiting to take me to teach.I teach at the same college as my husband and in the same art department  and it is small and peaceful and wonderful.well not always..lol..After teaching we workout and cook dinner and make art,talk to the kids on the phone,watch TV have wine and back on that computer................and that is it,my routine.
8.What is your role in your family?Mother/wife/I take care of the money..I organize and make sure everyone stays on task with their work/school/girlfriends/money and they are happy/Sometimes I cook..sometimes I clean ,but I do not do heavy cleaning..no..I do not take out the trash..no..I do cut the grass and make the bed and do the laundry.
9.What do you do every day that makes you happy?
Teach
Make art
Read
Love my family
Sit outside 
Ride my bike(not every day)
Have a good drink(lol)
Eat good healthy food
Sleep(I love that)

Susan Harmon, Artist Fellowship in Costa Rica,2013





Below is a new art series which I created, called Broken,digital photographs, I took and edited,which are informed by the literature I have been reading about women who suffered trauma,2015







No comments:

Post a Comment